Vacancy: 2 PhD student positions in sociology in the ERC-project JUSTEMOTIONS
The Department of Sociology seeks to appoint two candidates with excellent academic merits for a four year program. The terms and conditions of employment for doctoral researchers at Uppsala University are internationally highly competitive. The positions will be associated with the project JUSTEMOTIONS; The Construction of Objectivity: An international perspective on the emotive-cognitive process of judicial decision-making, awarded to Associate Professor Stina Bergman Blix by the European Research Council.
The doctoral researcher will be part of an international and interdisciplinary research project. A significant amount of time will be spent collecting data in one of either:
- Italy, affiliated to the Research Institute on Judicial System of the Italian National Research Council (IRSIG-CNR) in Bologna, where Francesco Contini, Senior researcher, will be appointed as mentor.
- Scotland, affiliated to the University of Strathclyde, where Professor Cyrus Tata will be appointed as mentor.
For more information about the project see: http://www.soc.uu.se/research/justemotions
The research work includes fieldwork in courts and prosecution offices in either Italy or Scotland
- shadowing prosecutors and judges
- court observations of criminal hearings
- conducting interviews with legal professionals
- day-to-day management of the project
- communicating with a range of professionals at different levels
- transcription and coding of interviews, fieldnotes and documentary sources (using the Software NVivo)
- communication with project colleagues in Italy, Scotland, USA, and Sweden
- creation and maintenance of shared qualitative data base of primary and secondary material and published sources
- development of a shared coding scheme
- drafting and submitting single and co-authored manuscripts to peer-reviewed international journals
- communicating findings through court presentations in Italy or Scotland as well as internationally at seminars and conferences
The doctoral student will engage in research work and doctoral literature courses. Other duties at the department, i.e. administration and teaching, may be included in the employment up to a maximum level of 20%. Salary is subject to established local guidelines.
The length of the study period for full time employment is a maximum of four years. Terms for graduate studies can be found in Högskoleförordningen 5 kap 1-7 §§.
You are welcome to submit your application no later than April 3, 2018.
Click here for further information about the vacancy and to apply.